Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Camera Eulogy

My D200 and 24mm f/2.8 are gone. They were stolen out of my backpack at the Shenzhen train station three nights ago. It is pretty awful to be camera-less, but at least my equipment was very well used before it was taken away. Insurance will cover getting brand-new replacements (minus a $500 deductible), but I will miss my D200.

This is the first photograph taken with my camera, in Syntagma Square, Athens, Greece.
And this is the last photo (downloaded) from my camera, in Beijing, China, taken for a story about Chinese drinking games on November 26th.
I received my D200 in Athens on June 11th, 2007, and have had it with me for the last 2.5 years, traveling across four continents and shooting many, many assignments. Thank you, dear camera.
As for good news, I think I will upgrade to a D700.

4 comments:

  1. Nooo! I am really sorry to hear that. I've been so lucky to have nothing happen to my camera (as of yet) while traveling all over India. I'm happy to hear that you have insurance on it and that you'll get an upgrade, but that doesn't change how much it sucks that it got stolen. You definitely gave it a fulfilled life.

    Once again, my condolences.

    And that dice picture is awesome. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad day! I love reading your blog Ali! Your pictures(and your stories)are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh em gee!!! im sorry to hear that your camera got stolen!!! but at least you have insurance and that its towards the end of your trip...can you buy a cheap point and shoot to cover the rest of your trip/assignments until you are home? hope everything else is going well despite what's happened. miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shitty! Worth it for the upgrade tho/ especially for $500.... I still miss my d300 sometimes. I took that fucker thru a lot. Sort of a shame you won't be able to catch Nikon on the upgrade and get the d700s or whatever they decide to do...

    ReplyDelete