Wednesday, October 7, 2009

N. Korean Border, II. and The Wall


This is the Hushan section of the Great Wall of China. It is about eight miles north from Dandong, right along the North Korean border. The Hushan (Tiger Mountain) section is the eastern beginning of the Great Wall. (That or it "tis the starti of easter the Great Wall." At least the English decipherable, unlike some as some signs.)


This section is very short, very steep, and very sweet. It is only a mile from end to newly-renovated end, and there was almost no one around. One of the most interesting things about it is that it practically overhangs into North Korean land.


At the top of the wall, I came upon this man eating breakfast. He insisted on sharing it with me, then became my adopted grandfather for the next two hours. We finished walking the wall together, visited the museum together, hiked to Yi Bu Kua together. He only knew two words in English, "Hello" and "Okay", so whenever he wanted my attention, he would shout, "Hello, Hello!" really loudly. He was an extremely nice and an extremely agile old man. After we finished the hike, he bought me a peach, gave me a hug and helped me find me a cab back to town.


This is Yi Bu Kua, which literally means "One Leap Away". It is the portion of the Yalu River that narrows to about a meter across, and is, strangely enough, a tourist destination (On the Chinese side). I did not make the leap, as there were three men sitting in on the North Korean bushes, yelling at people who got too close.

I visited the Badaling section of the Great Wall a few days ago. It was night and day compared the the Hushan section. More on that later.

3 comments:

  1. Those signs on each side of the wall indicating which country is which are quite impressive. I am suprised that the two countries collaborated on such a level. I wonder how many peasents were burned out of their houses in order to erect each Holywood size letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love your adopted grandpa!! sooo cute! Love the pics and I love you! Miss you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is amazing! and how cute to get adopted! im glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete