Sunday, October 25, 2009

Food Poisoned and Pick Pocketed

I had ridiculously bad food poisoning this week. It came courtesy of Schlotzsky's Deli, here in Beijing. Right before I started being sick, I had crazy vivid dreams that I was the wife of Chinese nobility in ancient times, fleeing from an unknown enemy through in the city of Xi'an. I also had a dream about the evils of South West turkey bacon sandwiches.

I was sick for a few days. I got taken to the hospital, tested for Swine Flu, given an IV. Thankfully, my bilingual friend Steven translated everything for me.

Ironically, I think the location of Schlotzsky's Deli that used to be in Eagan (Minn.) closed due to food-illness issues. I can't find anything to back this up, aside from a quote that says, "The Eagan store closed this month, and details are sketchy about that location", from a 2004 Twin Cities Business Journal article. I was laughing about this when I was at the deli, eating my sandwich.


Earlier this month, my coworker Randi and I took a day trip to Tianjin. My wallet got stolen in a crowded clothing market.

This what we did:
Train to Tianjin
Walked down cultural street
Visited Confucius temple.
Walked through clothing market.
Had wallet stolen.
Took cab to restaurant.
Discovered wallet was stolen.
Had cab go back to market.
Spent two hours at police station.
Ate noodles.
Train home.

The stolen wallet has been a hassle, but not the end of the world. I didn't loose my passport, and Tianjin is a pretty nice city.

The cultural street.
A flood of Caucasian dolls, amid hordes of China-themed trinkets and painted scrolls.

The Confucius Temple.


Randi, my coworker. She used to be a lawyer in Manhattan, lost her job in the recession, decided to do a journalism internship in China. She is extremely nice.

3 comments:

  1. I really love your images that you post too. Your misadventures in China are so interesting. You really have a way with words and not just your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL TIME VISITING A $#@%ED UP COUNTRY AMIGO!

    NOW READ THIS:

    ALERTA DE ESTAFA AUTOMOTRIZ EN EL TERITORIO MEXICANO.


    NO HAGAN NEGOCIOS CON EXPOAUTOS.COM.MX Y GLOBAL-BIT.COM en Morelia, Michoacan o culquier otra franquicia/sucursal de Omar Garcia Millan. expoautos.com.mx estafa!

    PARA MAS INFORMACION VISITEN:

    http://expoauto.blogspot.com/

    o este blog:

    http://pedromillan.blogspot.com/


    Gracias y lo que parece barrato te sale carrisimo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ali haupt. That's rotten luck with the hospitals and food poisoning. I lost my wallet and had two more seizures in the same week the second week of school. maybe bad news just likes to come in pairs. All the same damn lucky you got your passport I want to make sure you make it home! And your dreams are much more creative than mine. last night i had a bizzare dream about being brittany spears but like young original hit me baby one more time girl and i think its due to my wacko creativitiy for halloween costume brainstorming. In any case, I love your texts and facebook messages and you need to facebook m e a semipermanent address or SOMEWHERE that i can send you a letter ok? Let me know, i hope you're feeling better. Swine flu and assault has taken over the U of M. Not much else is new and the entire football team is on probation for being idiots. ugh. are you home yet? p.s. i saw like all of your roomates th e other day but in seperate locations and times. very bizzare, i kept waiting for you to pop up but I guess i just wasn't quite in the right location. I'll see you soon ok love?

    ReplyDelete